Brooklyn College of the City University of New York (CUNY) seeks an experienced higher educational administrator to provide dynamic leadership as the Director of International Programs & Study Abroad. The Director will work to advance the college’s mission by promoting transformative global educational experiences of the highest quality for our students. This position facilitates campus-wide collaboration with faculty, academic units, and administrative offices to develop programs that provide best practices in education abroad. The Director is responsible for developing and overseeing the initial fiscal and risk management assessments for the international travel and activities of students, faculty and staff. He/she will be responsible for increasing opportunities for and participation in study abroad at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Brooklyn College seeks an innovative leader, who is committed to access and excellence in public higher education and the role of study abroad in both undergraduate and graduate programs.
This position reports to the Provost & Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs.
The Director of International Programs & Study Abroad duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop a strategic plan to increase student and faculty participation in the College’s study abroad program. Provide data and reports for accreditation and assessment efforts
- Oversee and administer international agreements, in accordance with CUNY policies and procedures. Conduct site visits to current and prospective program partners as needed
- Work with faculty, chairs and deans to develop, administer and recruit for study abroad programs. Oversee logistics, including academic matching and interpretation with international institutions. Manage related budgets
- Collaborate with advisors and program directors to promote study abroad opportunities. Provide advisement and orientation to students.
- Administer and advise students about CUNY-wide and external scholarships
- Develop and implement training for faculty participating in study abroad programs
- Provide crisis management for study abroad and international exchange participants
- Develop and maintain website. Develop marketing strategies to promote study abroad
- Work with deans, faculty, and other administrators on the development of credit-bearing exchange programs. Provide administrative support as needed.
- Administer U.S.-based Study Away programs
- Serve as a liaison to Central Office and other CUNY study-abroad offices. Represent the College at national and international meetings.
- Hire, supervise and train department staff
- Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience required.
- Knowledge of best practices in developing and vetting study abroad and exchange learning opportunities.
- Excellent leadership skills
- Demonstrated commitments to diversity and inclusion
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent management organizational abilities, including facility with technologies that support study abroad management, including MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Proven ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with international partners
- Experience in the management of study abroad programs
- A preference for collaboration and a team-orientation
- Experience in supervision of staff
- Ability to travel internationally
- Fluency in a second language is preferred
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Directs programs related to international matters involving students, faculty, and staff.
- Provides leadership in the development of international student recruiting, orientation, and support programs
- Coordinates college-wide international study and collaboration projects, such as study abroad programs, programs for visiting delegations, and programs involving overseas institutional partners, fee-for-service clients, community organizations, governmental representatives and international organizations
- Creates goals and objectives that reflect Campus strategies; measures and evaluates performance and success
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title: Director of International Programs and Study Abroad
Job ID: 20374
Location: Brooklyn College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY TITLE: Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Visit https://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-college/new-jobs/ and click on the position. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a cover letter indicating the referenced Job# 20374 with a statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion, current resume and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
CLOSING DATE: April 13, 2019
Job, fellowship, and CFP listings are services that are offered by the American Studies Association to support its members in exploring professional opportunities in American studies. Any questions should be directed to the program, department, or center that has posted the opportunity.