The Department of American Culture invites applications for a full-time position specializing in American Culture. This is a non-tenure-track and teaching-intensive faculty position.
- Applicants must be eligible for appointment according to the regulations governing private universities and are required to have a doctoral degree in the relevant field in hand by the appointment start date.
- Applicants must have 200 or more points in qualifying publications dated no earlier than March, 2014 (including the Ph.D. dissertation). For detailed criteria on qualifying publications and points see: “Directions” -> “Tips when completing publication list” on our application site.
- Applicants must be able to teach at least one course each semester in English. - n.b. Applicants for the American Culture position must teach all AMC courses in English.
Appointment Date: September 1, 2017.
Sogang University, one of the leading academic and research institutions of Korea, was established in 1960 by the Society of Jesus to provide an education rooted in Catholic, Jesuit, and Korean traditions. Located in Seoul, Sogang focuses on educating the whole person through the pursuit of knowledge, respect for others, valuing of human dignity, and commitment to social justice. Sogang recruits and supports a diverse faculty committed to excellence in teaching and research, and is committed to fostering a diverse academic community that values both intellectual engagement and real-world experience. To learn more about Sogang, visit our website. Thank you.
1. Evaluation Process
- Stage I: Application Review - Research record - Correspondence with advertised field and area of specialization - Teaching experience - Educational background
- Stage II: Specialization Review
- Research Record Evaluation - Publication record - Qualitative level of journals in which papers have been published - Potential for future research development
- Open Lecture - Quality of open lectures (contents, methodology, and ability to handle questions and comments) - Student responses to open lectures
- Stage III: Interview - Overall qualifications and aptitude as an educator - Potential to contribute to Sogang University * Evaluation criteria may vary across departments.
2. Initial Application Period: From January 23, 10:00 a.m., to February 2, 2017, 5:00 p.m., local time in Seoul. - Applicants who fail to submit all application forms (via the online application system) within the specified period will be considered to have withdrawn their applications and will be excluded from the screening process.
3. Application Process
- Process for 1st stage of application
- Visit our website and set up an account
- Login to your account
- Complete the Internet Application Form [Application form] Save → [Publication List form] Save → [Self-introduction form] Save → [Submit] → [Check and confirm the receipt number of submission] → [Completion of application] ※ Even after clicking on “Save” each time after completing the Application Form, Publication List, and Self-Introduction Form (Personal Statement) respectively, the submission process will not be complete unless you click on the “Submit” button before the closing time for applications, and failure to do so means you will not be included in the list of candidates to be evaluated and will be excluded from the hiring process. (Please check and confirm your receipt number after submitting your application).
- Certificates of Acceptance for publications and any other additional documents needed for initial applications to certain departments should be uploaded to the online “File Box” on the Application Site.
- Process for 2nd stage of application: This only concerns successfully shortlisted applicants
- Print out application documents from the online application site (application form, list of research publications, self-introduction) and sign them.
- Prepare research materials and other additional materials (specified when the shortlisted applicants are contacted).
- Indicate the list of contents on the outside of the envelope when submitting the documents.
- All required documents should be included under a single cover and submitted either in person or by mail. * Applicants who are accepted for the second and third stages of the hiring process will be notified. They will have to supply copies of a number of recently published papers for evaluation, and come to Sogang University to give an open lecture and be interviewed. Candidates living overseas may be eligible for a travel and accommodation grant; detailed information may be obtained from the Office of Academic Administration. For more information, please visit our website and read the “Invitation Announcement“ and the “Guide to Application“ carefully.
Job, fellowship, and CFP listings are services that offered by the American Studies Association to support its members in exploring professional opportunities in American studies. Any questions should be directed to the program, department, or center that has posted the opportunity.