The Q/T Caucus of the ASA and GL/Q Caucus of the MLA invites nominations for our annual Michael Lynch Service Award. This award serves not only to honor an LGBTQ academic activist every year, but also, in Eve Sedgwick's words, "to publicize and celebrate—and as widely as possible—the range, the forms, the energy, and the history of queer [and trans] activism by academics." Michael Lynch wanted to honor those whose activism is academic in context but not limited to work for the Caucus.
We encourage submissions from and on behalf of independent scholars, graduate students, undergraduate students, and non-tenure track faculty. Self-nominations are welcome.
This activism might consist of activities including (but not limited to):
- Organizing for LGBTQ housing
- Organizing against campus policing
- Organizing for prison abolition
- Organizing for immigration and refugee rights
- Organizing for disability justice
- Graduate student union organizing
- Non-tenure-track and adjunct faculty union organizing
- Direct service to, or administrative advocacy on behalf of, LGBTQ students
- Action that results in non-discrimination clauses in contracts and/or policy
Nominations for this award, including a summary of the nominee’s qualifications, may be submitted to Jih-Fei Cheng at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please send questions to award co-chair to Jih-Fei Cheng at email@example.com.
Job, fellowship, and CFP listings are services that are offered by the American Studies Association to support its members in exploring professional opportunities in American studies. Any questions should be directed to the program, department, or center that has posted the opportunity.