The Department of Africana Studies at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) invites applications for a Tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor (Academic Year) with the appointment starting in Fall 2023.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University’s mission, vision, and core values.
The California State University, Dominguez Hills Department of Africana Studies is hiring an Assistant Professor of Africana Studies with a specialty in Global Africana Literatures (African, African American, Afro-Caribbean/Latinx literature). The successful candidate will teach undergraduate Africana literature courses for our BA degree program. She/he/they will be expected to maintain an active research agenda and serve on department, college, and/or university comittees. The normal teaching load if 4-4, with a reduced 3-3 load for the first two years and additional opportunities for reduced teaching load in future years.
- A Ph.D. in Africana Studies, African American Studies, African Studies, African Diaspora Studies or related field in hand at the time of appointment. Well qualified doctoral candidates/ABDs must indicate their anticipated degree completion date.
- The candidate must be able to teach literature utilizing an African Diaspora, decolonial and transnational lens and be able to teach two or more of the following courses: Harlem Renaissance, Africana Literary Traditions, and Africana Literature and Culture while developing new curriculum in their area of expertise.
- Evidence of a promising research program likely leading to publication in the area of expertise.
- Applicants must have experience in teaching undergraduates from diverse age, socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated teaching experience, publications and/or graduate coursework in Global Africana Literatures (African, African American and Afro-Caribbean/Latinx literatures).
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas of specialization: media studies (film, social media, television) and Africana popular culture analysis (art, music, etc.) and the ability to teach Introduction to Hip Hop and/or Africana Art and Culture.
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement, outreach and/or social justice activism with an emphasis on organizing, supervising and mentoring students in community-based internship experiences.
How to Apply - To apply for this position, please click the "Apply Now" button on https://careers.csudh.edu/en-us/job/518404/assistant-professor-africana-...
Job, fellowship, and CFP listings are services that are offered by the American Studies Association to support its members in exploring professional opportunities in American studies. Any questions should be directed to the program, department, or center that has posted the opportunity.